Saturday, February 12, 2011

Congratulations to Egypt! Mabrouk Ya Masr!!

So hours after I posted my last post, the news of Hosni Mubarak stepping down as Egypt's President rang through the world.

I was in the middle of Liverpool city centre and found it very hard to compose myself and tears of happiness found their way down my cheeks. It was raining and they were easily masked. But I didnt want to hide them... I wanted to dance and sing... The National Anthem ringing in my ears, I sang out loud and didnt care who looked at me!

I got a phone call from BBC Radio Merseyside asking me to join them in the studio once again.
I had joined them before going off to work on Wednesday the 10th of Feb discussing events taking place in Egypt, how I felt and my thoughts. They wanted to discuss my feelings now that Mubarak had finally stepped down and also called up my Father who was in the streets of Cairo celebrating.

I got very emotional while talking to him and talking about the long held dream of 80 million people that had finally came true.

Mubarak is gone and Egypt is Free!
I saw pictures and footage of people dancing, singing and celebrating on the streets of Cairo.
I heard them during congratulatory phone calls from my family in the background.
And I broke down in tears again while talking to my Mother, Grandmother and Sister who were dancing, cheering and singing in the streets of Heliopolis (an area in Cairo) and waving their Egyptian Flags.

I saw the whole Arab world rejoicing for Egypt and celebrating too.
Egypt will be rebuilt. Egypt will hold its head high and will take back its position in the world.
Congratulations to Egypt and its Amazing People.

Please find below links to the BBC radio interviews.


Nadya Shanab Interview.

Hisham Shanab Interview Feb. 10, 2011

Hisham Shanab Interview Feb. 11, 2011
(P.S.  This is a 4 hours episode, please go to 1 hour 19 minute)

Nadya & Hisham Shanab Interview Feb. 11, 2011

No comments: